Saturday, January 24, 2009

My small bathroom...

is your typical tiny extra bath -- sink and toilet, not much else to feature. A couple of years ago I painted the whole room pink (I used a Martha Stewart paint, but can't remember the name). I even painted the ceiling, as I'm not the greatest painter in the world, and it just seemed easier than trying to tape it off. I took down the boring mirror that had been there when we moved in, and replaced it with as many mirrors as I could find. I don't know where I got this idea from originally, I saw it somewhere in a magazine many years ago, and it had stuck in my head - but a couple of months later, the same idea was featured on the cover of "Martha Stewart Living" --- I'll never forget when Mr. Limefreckle saw it on the newsstand....it gave our bathroom legitimacy I think!

Anyway, here are the mirrors....it's hard to really get the full impact, the bathroom is so small I couldn't get a head on picture, but this sort of gives you an idea:



I remember when my father saw it for the first time, he came out and said "which mirror am I supposed to look in???" Perhaps I should put up a little sign that says "look here" with an arrow pointing to one of them. Do you think people would?

Anyway, on the opposite wall, I hung the lids from antique chamber pots (well duh, they must be antique....who uses chamber pots anymore??)



My original intention was to get more lids, and fill the wall in more, but I like just the 3, and have left it that way. It's sort of a tribute to my memories as a kid -- when we would go to my grandparent's camp (yes, I said camp, because if you are from Northern Ontario, you call it a CAMP, not a COTTAGE as I have learned to say down here in Southern Ontario) anyway, the camp had a couple of sleeping cottages, and an outhouse WAAAAAYYYYYY at the back, no sane child was about to head out in the middle of the night to go use it (we saved that adventure for our tweens). I still remember the chamberpot underneath a little stool with a ruffled skirt, we could just pull that out and use it! Thinking about it transports me back to that room, the paneled walls, the 2 twin beds (adjacent to the room with a double bed, where my parents would sleep). The pendants hanging on the wall, and the little saying on a plaque "I had no shoes and complained, until I met a man that had no feet"......WOW, I can't remember what we had for dinner last Tuesday, but I remember that camp like it was yesterday!

Sue

2 comments:

Infarrantly Creative said...

Love the mirror idea. Fun fun. Thanks for your recent comments on my blog. It really encourages me.

Megan said...

It looks great! and I bet if you put and little sign pointing to one people would look! *snicker*

I'm going to link your post to mine!

thanks for letting me know you posted!