Monday, January 5, 2009

Starting fresh in 2009

I was sitting here this morning, reading through my lists of blogs that I frequent, and I came across this post from one of the blogs I lurk at (I'm a lurker, I don't post at other blogs....something I need to change for 2009!) Anyway, this post at The Shabby Nest hit the nail on the head for me about how I'm feeling today. PERSEVERE....I'm going to borrow this for my word of the year as well, hope you don't mind, Wendy, I will post on your blog to tell you I'm borrowing your quote!

It's been a very tough year at school since September for my son with PDD-NOS, this 2 week holiday has been a welcome break for all of us. For him, and for me, because I got a chance to spend some real quality time with him, and to remember all the wonderful qualities that he has. School is hard for him, he's a square peg trying to be forced into a round hole (or is it round peg into a square hole...) well, whatever, HE DOESN'T FIT! But unfortunately the only other option for him is to be sent off to be segregated from his peers into a special education classroom, at another school outside of our neighbourhood - something I am not a fan of, and really don't feel comfortable with. He needs a combination of special programming, yet also does well when he's integrated with his friends and peers --- it's a delicate mix, and this year, it's NOT working well at all. The last meeting at our school comprised of my husband and I and 10 people on behalf of the school, with very little positives, and lots of negatives -- it's hard to sit there, as a parent, with all these people looking at you for answers as to why your child doesn't fit in.....At this meeting I was actually asked to write a letter to all the other parent's in my son's class, to explain him to them, as there have been parents with "concerns" about my son, and his behaviour (which, don't get me wrong, can be very out of hand and hard to control if you don't understand where it is coming from), their children's involvement in playing with him, mentoring him, etc. I don't know what their "concerns" are, and frankly don't want to know, I guess I need to explain why he can be so very inappropriate and volatile sometimes, but I'm still reeling from the fact that the school asked me to write this letter! It doesn't sound like a very inclusive attitude, I think the school could do a lot of things to reassure parents about all the children we have in our school that have special needs, without asking the parents of these children to personally write to other parents. It sort of made me feel like I need to justify him, and why he is here, with all the "normal" kids....I'm not sure the people from the school and school board realize how this request came across, I do think it was done with good intentions....but it was still very hard to hear!

I've been sitting here looking at the clock, realizing that I need to get moving, get him ready, and head back to school for a week that traditionally can be very hard for kids on the spectrum....he's been on vacation, settling back in to school is hard at the best of times......but we shall PERSEVERE, - which means to continue in some effort, course of action etc. in spite of difficulty, opposition, etc.; be steadfast in purpose; persist. We will continue to advocate for our son, to get him the help he needs despite the claims that the school board can't afford it, etc. We will continue to work with the school, to help bring them the expertise that they may need to undertand him, and his needs.

1 comments:

Wendy said...

Thank you for leaving a comment on my post. I'm glad that my word inspired you. Good luck as you advocate for you son...it is the most important thing you can do. I hope the best for you as you persevere through the trials. :-)