Saturday, December 24, 2011

Christmas Eve favourite appetizer

Because Christmas Eve is usually such a busy night, church,  trips to see friends etc., our family has often just had appetizers for dinner.  I like this tradition, and while Mr. Limefreckle's family is coming over this year,  I decided to continue.  I'm NOT sticking with the no meat rule....it's not been something we have traditionally followed every year,  but there will be plenty of fish  for those that do choose to abstain.  One of my very favourite appetizers of all time is Rumaki- ever heard of it? 

Well, it's bacon wrapped goodness....here's how to make it:
1 package bacon, cut in half
2 cans whole water chestnuts
1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup  brown sugar

secure  1 whole water chestnut in 1/2 slice bacon with a toothpick.  Cook these for about 10 mins. at 350 degrees. Mix ketchup and brown sugar, and pour over bacon wraps, and return to oven for approx. 20 mins., more or less depending how crispy you like your bacon.
That's it!  If you want to prepare ahead of time, you can precook the wraps for 10 mins, then coat with sauce and refrigerate....cook for 20 mins or so when you are ready to serve.

There are other recipes out there that include soy sauce, which would be good too....but I find this recipe quick and easy!

** edited on December 26th -- I realized when I was cooking this on Christmas Eve, I wrote the wrong quanity for ketchup....although if you go a little overboard it will still be fine....but you should use 1/2 cup ketchup....not a cup**

0 comments: