Monday, January 16, 2012

The Good Ole' Hockey Game, it's the best game you can name....

Mr. Limefreckle and I don't really vacation very often.  But we do, every once in awhile, have an overnight getaway.  This past Saturday was one such occasion.  Mr. Limefreckle had hockey tickets to see the Toronto Maple Leafs play the New York Rangers....so we dropped of Limefreckle Jr. for an overnight with his Nana, and headed to downtown Toronto.   I took pictures, but forgot my camera, and had to use my iphone....my iphone 3.....definitely nothing to write home about in the camera department.....but I found some online images that will help me describe our evening....


We had reservations at my favourite hotel, Le Meridien King Edward ---- more commonly known as "The King Eddy".....we have stayed here before, luckily Mr. Limefreckle has a contact, and we can always get a good rate.  And yes, found this picture on their website, most definitely my iphone 3 did NOT capture the lobby looking this good!


We knew we were in for a nice treat when we saw that our room was at the end of the hall with double doors.......a suite!


Our suite wasn't  quite as fancy as this one, and there wasn't anyone doing turn down service when we arrived....but you get the picture....it was HUGE!

It was VERY cold on Saturday night.  Winter had to choose the one time we head out for the night to arrive.  No snow storm though,  the last time I was downtown overnight I was meeting my cousin from Thunder Bay and we stayed at the King Eddy that night too.  It was a huge snowstorm that night, but being two strong Northern Ontario girls we braved the elements and walked up Yonge Street to have dinner at the Hard Rock Cafe.....we felt perfectly in our element....

Anyway, it was too cold to go exploring, so we chose to have a drink in the bar at the hotel.....very cozy.....


Mr. Limefreckle, the workaholic, is actually relaxing....

Then it was time to head over to the game.  I bundled up!  That North Face jacket is REALLY warm!


 
We walked over to the game, about 10 minutes away.  One thing about downtown Toronto.  Although I am a Northern girl, and am used to the cold, there is something about those wind tunnels that all the tall buildings create that make the city seem SOOOO much colder! I worked downtown for 15 years and was instantly reminded exactly how cold it can get down there!


We had reservations at the Air Canada Club, which is a restaurant in the Air Canada Centre.  It's fun, it's at the end of the arena, you have a great view overlooking the rink.....


Dinner was good....then on to our seats to watch the game.  Sadly, the Rangers dominated....and the Leafs lost.  But it's always fun to watch a game live.  This particular night was Canadian Armed Forces night, and the pregame show was wonderful!  A jeep drove onto the ice to deliver the puck, storm troopers descended from the rafters.....all very exciting!  A huge Flag was unfurled in the crowd, Mr.Limefreckle said they do  that at all the games now.....I thought it was just for that night....but either way, we felt proud to be Canadian!




The game would have been a whole lot more exciting if the Leaf's had won.....but it was fun to experience it live.....


we had great seats, not far up behind the net

Fortunately we were lucky enough to be seated behind two very exuberant Leaf fans!  You know the types, the more they drink, the more they feel the need to  critique the skills of the players on the ice!  I always find it amusing.......It doesn't appear that these two had ever been drafted to the NHL, so I'm not exactly sure what gives fans the expertise to judge the professionals....but it makes for an interesting evening!  These 2 had hockey gloves on that doubled as cup holders......they had me laughing, although poor Mr. Limefreckle, who was seated right behind them,  had to keep ducking and bobbing,  because anytime any action happened at the net, they were on their feet, coaching the players all they way!


After the game we went to check out the new bar beside the rink....but there was a line up to get in.  I haven't stood in a line up since I was about 19.  At some point in my life it seemed silly to line up to give an establishment my money...but I do love the excitement of downtown on a Saturday night!

This is my pic from my iphone

not my iphone

We headed back to the hotel, this time through the underground path system, which was a whole lot cozier!  Back to our cozy suite, and cozy beds (the Kind Eddy has the most comfortable beds!!)  It was a fun night out, thank you Mr. Limefreckle!

1 comments:

adam said...

Great Blog! -> like the pictures and mr. lime freckle seems to have had a great ole time!