Saturday, January 28, 2012

Laundry room to Mud room

When we moved into this house,  the laundry room was on the main floor, which I normally would really like.  We looked at a few houses where the laundry room was upstairs, which I would  like even more, however I couldn't stop worrying that it would be a flood waiting to happen. 

Once we started living here, we soon realized that this main floor laundry room was so cramped.  It was also the side entrance, and the MAIN entrance to the house for us, and it just wasn't working.  There was a TINY utility sink that you coudn't even fit a bucket into, that was driving Mr. Limefreckle crazy!  We had bought a new front load washer/dryer set, and considered stacking them to make more room, but it was STILL going to be very cramped.   So we decided to move the washer/dryer to the basement, into our unfinished portion.  Not very fancy, not the bright, sunny laundry room of my dreams, and a pain to lug stuff up and down (gee, better be sure not to put THAT description in the listing if we ever decide to sell) but it works for now.  This is what our basement laundry room looks like:


I have plans to build something around the washer/dryer soon, will document that on the blog!

The new mudroom is very small,  hard to take pictures,  so these are very choppy....but there is now so much room for boots, coats, etc.  I LOVE it!



I found this light fixture on Kijiji, I must do a post soon about all the great things I have found on Kijiji.


I asked our contractor to custom make these cubbies for us....one for each of us.  I actually made him redo the bench, because it wasn't tall enough for my boots.....and I wanted to be able to slide them in underneath.  I think he thought I was crazy, but he did it, and I'm so glad that I asked him to.....

 

These fabric baskets are from the Martha Stewart collection, I think they were from either  Lowes or Home Depot. I found round wicker baskets that hold hat and mitts in the winter, and flip flops in the summer.


on the opposite side we have a closet and some closed storage for cleaning supplies, and baskets above for more storage.  I wanted to take advantage of all the vertical space in this room,  it's tiny, but the ceiling is about 10 feet tall.


We used leftover quartz and backsplash from the kitchen reno (will post that soon).  Now Mr. Limefreckle has a nice deep stainless steel sink.  Funny the things that make that man happy!  Love the "Home"sign I found at Pier 1 that holds extra keys, Rufus' leash, towel to wipe his paws.


I could have really "staged" this better....removed some of the boots etc.,  but this is how we live. 
It doesn't look this messy in the spring/summer....boots (especially all of mine) really take up a lot of space!


and that's our new mudroom! I love it!


1 comments:

Angie@Echoes of Laughter said...

Hi Susanna! Thank you so much for visiting me! I love your new mudroom! Those storage lockers are fabulous! Angie xo