Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Valentine, Schmalentine.....

I HATE Valentine's Day.  There, I've said it.  I've been perusing all  my favourite blogs this past weekend, and I've HAD IT UP TO HERE with Valentine's Day!  I haven't liked Valentine's day for a long time.....maybe because I was single for so many years, and the day was just a sad reminder that I was alone.  One year I broke up with someone on Valentine's day....that pretty much clinched it for me.....and now, almost 20 years later, although I'm happily married, I just don't care for the holiday.  I LOVE holidays.....Christmas is my time to shine, Halloween is fun, Easter I go into sugar overload, Even St. Patrick's day......no problem, pass the green beer.  But Valentine's day just seems to be a day filled with too much expectation and pressure.   The last time Mr. Limefreckle and I went out for a Valentine's dinner was so many years ago I can't remember -- it was to a restaurant that we normally loved, but they had a "set" menu that night so they could cycle as many people in as possible....the dinner was rushed, the food was bad, and it was a sad reminder of how commercialized the day has become.  I vowed after that dinner never to go out on Valentine's day again......we can wait till the following weekend for a dinner out. 

Of course,  I dutifully went off to Walmart and picked up Valentine's and chocolates for Limefreckle  Jr. to give to his classmates.......I'm not a total Valentine scrooge.....

February 15th update......
after Mr. Limefreckle and I agreed no Valentine's gifts, he showed up with cards, and gift cards in each from himself, Limefreckle Jr. and the dog.  Now I feel bad.  Will be taking him to a movie and dinner with said gift cards to make up for it!

1 comments:

Kimi said...

Ditto all of that. I even shared my Vday breakup story on my blog today.

I helped the boys get their Valentines stuff together for school last night. But that is as far as it goes for me.

If you 'NEED' one day a year to show how much you love someone you're probably slacking the rest of the year right??