Thursday, February 28, 2013

The Houseguest

The other day I was reading this post from one of my favourite bloggers, Big Mama, and when I saw this picture on her bookshelf, I knew I had to have it.  I laugh every time I look at it.....


Can't you just see the exasperation in the way her head is tilted!?!  And the lion is sitting there, like "What???"

Turns out it is from a fellow Etsy artist, and also a fellow CANADIAN Etsy artist, so I knew I had to have it right away.  Her name is Janet Hill and her shop is filled with lovely, bright coloured prints.  I bought this print size 11"x14" but she has it in a smaller size as well.

I had a custom mat made for it, because none of the premade 11x14 mats looked right.  This sea foam green colour matches perfectly.  I hung it over the fireplace in our family room.   I think I still need something else on the mantle, not exactly sure what yet, but I suppose I'll know it when I see it.  Perhaps a quote of some sort?



I really love to hang artwork that "speaks to me".  I don't spend a lot of money on art, I basically hang what I like, what means something to me, what makes me laugh.  Those are the 3 criteria for items that come into my home.

I have a "Wall of Shame" in our upstairs hall.  These pictures used to be in our old home, up the wall of the winding staircase, and they made a real impact.


here are these pictures in our last house


here they are in our upstairs hall,can't get a full picture without a wide angle lens.  They aren't the same "conversation piece" that they were in our old home, but they do represent our history, and I like looking at them every day.  I tried to pick pictures that weren't all just conventional poses -- something a little different...





like this one of my great uncle and his gun collection.  Just sittin' around in his pyjamas, lookin' at his guns.  Who doesn't do that?  And who took the picture?  I like things that make you ask some questions.


I also like artwork that means something to me. I like to buy artwork of places that we have visited, it brings me back to that place every time I look at it.  This is a picture of the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island.  Mr. Limefreckle proposed to me on that little balcony that is jutting out from the porch.



This framed picture sits on our bedside table, a father's day gift one year:



This, in our downstairs powder room, just makes me smile:


My aunt, a very talented artist, made this for Limefreckle Jr. when he was born.  It hung in the nursery, now it's in our upstairs hall.



This is another one of her pieces, it reminds me of the rock that sat in the lake outside my grandparents camp, a place of fond memories:


This is one of my most cherished pieces, my parents gave it to me when I got married.  I wore my Grandma's necklace on my wedding day, this artist always has some "ghosts" in the background of his pictures.  In this one you can see the grandma putting the necklace on her granddaughter.  I like to think she was there that day, putting my necklace on me with my mom.



When I look around my house I see only artwork that makes me smile.  Perhaps it doesn't for some people (I have a whole bunch of pictures running up my staircase in our current home.  A lady visiting once said to me "wow, you sure like pictures!"  Not sure she was a fan, but she doesn't live here now does she?!?).  When you are decorating your house, I think there are 3 rules to follow:

1.  Do you love it?
2.  Does it make you smile?
3.  Does it mean something to you?

If you answered yes to those 3 questions, than it will fit in your home just fine.











1 comments:

Taylor Morgan said...

haha I love this painting! so true! it looks great in your place!

love from NYC,

Taylor
taylormorgandesign.blogspot.com
Shop Taylor Morgan Jewelry