Friday, February 15, 2013

What's in yo' fridge?!

button
 
Today I'm linking up with Holly for a What's in yo' fridge?!  post.  Thanks for the idea Holly, the suggestion came at a great time, I was just about to sit down and figure out a post for today....

So here's my fridge...


One of the things I ALWAYS have on hand is Almond Milk.  We never buy regular milk anymore, it's a perfect substitute, although I'm not sure it would really be that great if you were looking for milk by the glass.  We don't really do that around here, and I find anything I need to put milk into, I can substitute almond milk, and really not know the difference.  That is ORIGINAL almond milk, not vanilla.  It's also low in Weight Watcher points, so that's a bonus.



We also always have Greek yogurt on hand, the lower fat the better.  Ever since tasting Greek yogurt, I've never gone back to any other type, I find it so thick and creamy, even if it's low fat.  I also never buy sour cream anymore, I substitute plain Greek yogurt, it tastes almost exactly the same.


I try to keep a good supply of blueberries, raspberries, and cut up strawberries, to add to yogurt or cereal. I was SO happy when Weight watchers made fruit zero points.  I don't think anyone ever got fat eating too much fruit!  Just sayin'....

Another staple I like to keep on hand all the time is hard boiled eggs.  I like the brown ones 'cause they're prettier.....and at 2 points a piece, they make a great, on the go lunch.



I always have some lunch meats, I like to buy these Naturals because apparently they don't have any of the extra stuff that makes deli meat so bad for you.  These are low in points, and fill you up.  Babybel light cheese are another great, low point snack.  Shredded Mozzarella, probably filled with chemicals and stuff, but quick and easy, and that usually wins around here.

 
 



I have 3 of these cups that you freeze, the gel inside them helps to keep them cold longer.  I put one frozen lemon/lime wedge into it and the water stays cold quite a long time.  I did a blog post about it here you basically cut up lemon and lime slices, place them in a muffin tin, add water, then pop them out like ice cubes.  I leave them in a Ziploc bag, and they are ready to go.

 

 
Other staples in my fridge would be chicken, fish, lean ground beef.  Most of our meals use one of these 3 things as a base, chicken more often than not.  I was being fabulous and making all my meals for the week on Sunday, but kind of fell off of that lately and have been winging it, just cooking as I get home.  My plan is to sit down one of these days and plan out 4 weeks of meals, then start rotating them, but haven't gotten to it just yet.  I"m famous for my procrastination!
 
Thanks for joining me on my fridge tour.  What is it about peeking into peoples houses/fridges/purses that we find so entertaining?  I don't know, but I like it!


7 comments:

Laura said...

HI, I'm here from the linkup! Looking into your fridge makes me hungry, and makes me realize I really need to go grocery shopping!! Thanks for the tips on Almond milk...I need to try that!

Kimmyyy83 said...

Visiting from link up! WOW I need you to come shop and clean for me I think! And I have never had a brown egg, am I weird or something!

Laura B @ Walking in Memphis in High Heels said...

Stopping by from the link up! You're fridge looks nice and full. Mine looks pitiful lol. I've been wanting to try almond milk.
walkinginmemphisinhighheels.com

Limefreckle said...

We've been doing almond milk for over a year now, and unless we are having company, I never buy regular milk....it's great, you can just keep it in the cupboard, so we never run out! Get it at Costco in bulk! And brown eggs are from brown hens I hear....nothing else is different about them....they just seem more exotic!

Whisper said...

Thanks for stopping on my blog! You're fridge is nice and full too. LOVE IT! I heard that the Greek Yogurt that you have (can't think of the name right now) is high in calories and sugar compared to to Chobani. Is it true?

Limefreckle said...

I've never seen Chobani, I'm not sure it's available in Canada, so can't compare...I just go by WW points for now, and Liberte 0% seems to work well. But I suppose it wouldn't hurt to check out the sugar as well!

Holly said...

You might win for the healthiest fridge.. plus, it's so neat and clean. I might try some almond milk the next time I'm at the store. :)