Monday, March 4, 2013

Clean eating new foods

Ugh, It's Monday!  We had a lovely weekend, went to see "Life of Pi" with Mr. Limefreckle and Jr.  Mr. Limefreckle always makes me laugh when we go to the movies, he was grumbling that you pretty much need a black American Express to go out these days, after we loaded down with pizza, a hot dog and fries for Jr., and popcorn, candy and drinks for us! Rest assured it was ALL counted in my WW points, and I brought some WW bars with me to replace the Mars bars (although they aren't that high in points if anyone is interested....as long as you only eat 2 minis).

Today I'm linking up with Monday Mingling!  Click on the buttons and go check out all the other blogs.



And check out Samis Shenanigans' for more Monday fun. 
 
 


Jr. just wanted to pop in and say hi.  This is the kind of shenanigans that go on around here when I'm trying to take pictures for the blog.

These are hands down the 2 favourite things I have found recently, thanks to tips from fellow Weight Watchers, at the meetings.  Did you know they say that members who go (and stay) for meetings are three times more likely to lose weight than members who go it alone?  I've made friday morning my regular weigh in/meeting time, and then I head to the gym right after.  I do find it has probably played a big role in my success so far.

These 2 items I had never heard of before, until a fellow member mentioned them:




1.  Tofu Shiratake Noodles

Now before you go all "yuck, Tofu, not gonna do it" don't turn your nose up so fast.....these noodles are like GOLD to me!  They are FANTASTIC if you are a pasta lover. I've been very good at switching from regular past to whole wheat, I actually have come to prefer it.  These noodles taste very similar to pasta, the only difference I see is that they taste a little more "well done" than traditional pasta.  It tastes like maybe you have overboiled the pasta a little bit.  But I believe it's something I'll get over, especially when I tell you what one serving is......ZERO POINTS!  That's right, you read that right....1/2 package is ZERO POINTS!  Now, you could probably easily eat 1 FULL package, then you would have to count 1 point.   You can decide depending how hungry you are.  So far I've found it in spaghetti, Penne style noodles and fettucine style.  I wonder if it comes in elbow macaroni?  Mmmmmmmm......can you say Mac and cheese?????  I suppose I could use the elbow macaroni if I can't find it.  And believe me when I tell you I don't seek out tofu in any form, shape or size.....so don't let the name turn you off.

Oh ya, and if this matters to you...they are gluten free as well!

2.  I heart baby Kale.  I've been wanting to add Kale to my food repretoire for awhile now, because I know it's super good for you, but really, to be honest...not a big fan.  I've tried it in a couple of recipes, and wouldn't rush out to buy it again. But this lettuce mixture of baby kale, baby spinach and other baby greens is tasty!  So now this is my lettuce of choice when making a salad.

And here's a simple recipe I threw together, using the Shiratake noodles. As I was scarfing it down, it occurred to me that I had bought some Philadelphia brand cooking sauce, that I was going to use with the Fettucine and shrimp, but I forgot about it when I made this, and that's fine, this turned out perfectly tasty and I didn't need the extra points.  I'll save that for a day when I have some activity points to spare.




Shrimp, Tomato and Shirataki Noodles - 6 points per serving (recipe serves 2) CLEAN EATING

1 package Shirataki Noodles (226 g)
1 bag uncooked shrimp, peeled and deveined (454 g)
1 small container grape tomatoes (about 1-2 cups)
2 - 3 tablespoons dried basil (I prefer the taste of dried in this recipe, but you could use fresh)
1/4 cup onions
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 -2 cloves garlic

Brown garlic and chopped onions in olive oil, till onions are transluscent.  Add grape tomatoes, cut in half and uncooked, peeled and deveined shrimp.  Cook till shrimp is pink.

While this is cooking, rinse the Shiratake noodles according to package directions.  Microwave noodles approx. 1 minute, and cover with paper towels to help absorb moisture.  Add the noodles to the shrimp and tomatoes, to warm it up.

Serve!

This recipe was so quick.  The girls that were talking about the noodles at the meeting said that they have a funny smell to them, that is why they need to be drained well.  I've cooked with them twice now, and haven't really noticed it....so it's not anything overwhelming, and like I said, just be sure to rinse the noodles well.  Directions regarding this are on the package.

ENJOY!  Please let me know if you try it!

And if you didn't read Friday's post, don't forget about my giveaway!    It's for a copy of Melanie Shankle's book "Sparkly Green Earrings" and a pair of the same, made by moi.   It ends on Thursday at Midnight!  You can enter here







3 comments:

Sarah said...

Thanks for the heads up on those noodles- I'm always looking for alternatives! I'll have to be on the look out for them!

Danielle K said...

I love those noodles...just wish they weren't so smelly when you open the package :)

Jennie said...

Looks like a great weekend :)