Thursday, March 14, 2013

Non Scale Victories - putting it out there!

I'm linking up with Katie and Lex for Non Scale Victories again this week.  

button


 One thing I really struggle with is putting the REAL NUMBERS out there.  I am completely comfortable with complete strangers knowing how much I weigh.  If I was sure only complete strangers would read my blog, I'd be fine with it!

But on Tuesday I started a new giveaway on the blog, and wanted to post it to my Limefreckle facebook page.  Makes sense right?  If I'm going to have a facebook page for Limefreckle, it might be the prudent thing to do, to let people know about the contest.

But that's where I got stuck.  I realized that PEOPLE THAT I REALLY KNOW might visit my blog, and read my weight updates.
 
AND THAT SCARED THE CRAP OUT OF ME!!

I have no idea why -- do I think that when they see me, they don't recognize that I have a couple extra lbs. to lose?  Maybe those that don't see me that often think I look as great as I do in my carefully edited facebook pictures (come on, we all do it....only post the ones we like!)

But it actually took me a little while to decide to post about the blog -- and ultimately I did it.  I didn't direct them to the pages that talk about my weight journey, they'll have to dig around to find those, but I put it out there, for all the world to see "I HAVE A BLOG! COME AND LOOK!"

I have 3 main reasons for blogging -

#1 - I want to talk about my weight loss journey, and find others who are on one too

#2 - I want to talk about Autism, what it's like to live with autism, and hopefully, inspire people to learn about it and recognize the "quirky" side of some of these kids.  And Limefreckle Jr. is nothing if not quirky!

#3 - I want to talk about, and hopefully sell jewelry, on my Etsy shop.  My shop has been around for quite sometime, but I really only work at it part time, I haven't advertised for it, haven't put too much effort into it, it's something that I do for fun.  Lately, I've been more committed to listing more items, advertising it a bit, talking about it on my blog, and blogging more in general.

I realize that if I want to get a little more traffic to my shop, I need to talk about it on the blog, on my facebook page, and all these things need to be linked.  I'm probably the world's worst salesman, I would SO MUCH rather just create pieces, and not have to put any effort into selling them!  I'm more of a "here's what I have to offer, hope you like it" kind of person, and marketing myself quite frankly scares me.  But it's another thing that I'm working on.

So I think "putting it out there" is a definite NON SCALE VICTORY this week!

And if you are by chance interested in my giveway this week, here it is:


PIN IT TO WIN IT!
 
 
All you need to do is visit my Etsy shop and pin whichever item(s) you like best. Then come back here and leave me a comment with the URL of your pin.  You can pin more than one item, you will earn extra items, one for each pin.  At the end of the week, one winner will win the piece that they pinned!  If you AREN'T on Pinterest, go here to sign up.  Seriously, even if you don't partake in this contest - GET YOURSELF TO PINTEREST, YOU WON'T BE SORRY!



7 comments:

Madalyn said...

Good Morning! I loved reading your post. I, too, sometimes struggle with the thought of people reading about my weight loss that know me, and get anxious or think about what they will think of me. I also know though, that I am my TOUGHEST critic. I'm sure there are those that stumble across my blog and think the worst of me, but I'd like to think that most don't think that way.

I, too, have an Etsy shop, but haven't put anything up yet. I guess that should be added to the list to do in the next couple of months. I will be visiting yours!

I am visiting from the linkup with KTJ and Lex.

Have a wonderful Thursday!

Madalyn

www.faithfoodexercise.blogspot.com

Less of Less said...

I know how you feel. I don't mind anyone reading my blog, but I don't want people I know to. I always debate putting personal information on there. I want to be honest, but I also don't want to reveal my entire self to people who see me every day.

Kelly said...

I think that's such a common hardship of blogging. I've always been really open to my friends and family about my blog so a lot of them read it (which is awesome!) but at the same time I find that I censor some of what I might write if they weren't reading. I think allowing yourself to be vulnerable is an AH-MAY-ZING non-scale victory!

Honeybee GB said...

Same here Susanna. I don't mind telling strangers my real weight, but I don't want to be too open to people who I know. I snap a progress picture of myself, but the only reason I refuse to publish it on my blog is because I feel uncomfortable if friends or family or people that I really know might read my blog and saw it. =) Visiting u from KTJ. Have a wonderful day.

Regards,
Honeybee
http://herweightlossdiary.blogspot.com/



Frances Kendrick said...

I don't through out my weight either. They can guess if they want to. lol

I following now, hoping to be encouragement during your weight loss journey.

Take care,
Frances
www.notiosnfromnonny.com

Hollie said...

I have been going back and forth with this too. I want to tell people I know in real life about my blog but only wish I could tell certain ones. I used to share my weight but went back and took those pics down, I was scared someone I knew on real life would find me.

Visiting from the link up too.

Katie J said...

putting it out there is a great NSV! I think it takes guts to talk openly about your weight, thanks for sharing!