Monday, March 25, 2013

The Harlem Shake

Llinking up today with Molly and Sami with my weekend recap.

My weekend was absolutely jam packed with activity!  We had a craft show/bake sale at Limefreckle Jr's school on Saturday, to raise money for the classroom.  We had one at Christmas, our first one, and it was a huge success, so we thought we'd give it a try again, and have a Spring Sale.  We had a bake sale, 40 plus craft vendors, raffles, etc.  Unfortunately, although we advertised as much if not more this time around, we just didn't draw a big crowd like we did at Christmas.  I don't know why, perhaps because it's still so cold outside, perhaps spring sales just aren't as well attended as Christmas shows.  Our bake sale still did incredibly well, and we still raised the same amount of money as we did last time (we raise our money from table fees from the vendors, a raffle with prizes generously donated by the vendors, and the bake sale), but I felt so bad for all the vendors (including myself, I had a table to sell my jewelry) because sales weren't brisk for everyone.  WE had a wonderful group of people there, they were all very supportive of our school, and most of them expressed an interest in coming back at Christmas. I didn't take any pictures, but luckily I was able to swipe some from one of the teacher's instagram page:



I had a yummy lunch from this food truck, we invited them to come back again after our Christmas show.


The bake sale was even bigger than last year, so many people donated items for us!  My mother in law came to help out, baked so much herself and also has a group of friends that have been incredibly generous to us.  My Mother in law is a SUPERSTAR at fundraising, I knew that when we decided to have a bake sale with our craft sale, that she was the woman to hire to run it!


We had 2 great door prizes, gift baskets each filled with a dozen bottles of wine.....I could have used this last night after the show, sadly I didn't win.

It's a HECK of a lot of work to put something like this together, but it's fun, and the minute it was over, I started to think of ideas for our Christmas sale.  It truly is incredibly satisfying to be involved with a fundraiser, I haven't really been much of a volunteer in the past, but I do whatever I can for the school, I believe in it so much!   I do realize that it is important for us, as people, to serve in some way, and volunteering just feels good!

On Sunday we went to my brother in law and sister in law's house to celebrate my nephew's 12th birthday.  He is 10 days older than Limefreckle Jr. and they are very close -- LJ is close to all of his cousins -- he has 4.  They always enjoy each other's company, and I enjoy watching them together.  After lunch, we went to watch my oldest nephew play hockey, it was a sit on the edge of your seat game (they are in the playoffs) and they tied their game.  While we had hoped they would win, they aren't out yet, and have another game on Wednesday.  I've never been a hockey mom, haven't spent a lot of time at games, I'm not sure I could endure the early morning practices, and the commitment it takes when you are part of a team -- but it's certainly fun to go and cheer on my nephew.  Limefreckle Jr. was in the stands going crazy, encouraging me to chant and clap! 

I'll leave you with this video, the kids produced this while they were all playing in the basement today.....it pretty much sums up the fun they have together:

3 comments:

Chrissy said...

OMGOODNESS!!! That video is HILARIOUS!

Heather (My Little HEA) said...

I love me some food trucks!

My Thrifty Chic said...

wow! you did have an eventful weekend!


I'd love for you to join our Blog Hop going on now: http://www.mythriftychic.com/
xoxo Tori