Thursday, April 25, 2013

Finding my niche - Non Scale Victory

It's taken me quite a few years, but I've finally reconciled myself to the fact that

I.AM.NOT.A.RUNNER
 
AND THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT!


Running seems to be the pinnacle of exercise success to a lot of bloggers out there.  They post pics of their races, their training, pics of themselves in cute little outfits, with funky headbands, flexing their muscles.  I always think I would be way too embarrassed to pull out my iphone and photograph myself while working out -- but to each his own, I give full credit to those bloggers that do that, you are inspiring a nation!  I'm way to red in the face and out of breath when I'm training at the gym, to be photographed.

But I've finally allowed myself to be honest, and admit, no matter how hard I try - I DO NOT LIKE TO RUN! 

I was a runner once, for a brief period of my life.  A personal trainer I was seeing had a whole group of us training for a 10K.  We took a few months. I finally was running for 50 minutes at a time, a big thing for me, and then I got pregnant, and started to bleed, and that ended my running career for a long time.  I always thought that maybe I couldn't get back into it because of the association of the miscarriage I had (I've had 2, one before Limefreckle Jr. and then this one, afterwards).  I laid off running for quite awhile.

Recently I tried to take it up again.  Never mind my herniated disc I told myself, I can do this.

But I can't.  And more importantly I DON'T WANT TO. 

Those are powerful words to me.....I really DONT WANT to run, and so why should I? It's time on this journey, to find the exercises that REALLY inspire me, that MAKE me want to go to the gym, in short, THAT I ENJOY.

I found this on Pinterest, the other day, and couldn't agree more:

 
THE FUTURE ME AT THE GYM
 
(the link didn't work to the original source, so I can't give you the origin of this, but I like this gal's style!)
 
While I do go to a traditional "gym" twice a week for weight training (with my fantastic trainer Trevor, that trains my mind as much as my body, and makes me look forward to our sessions), my real passion is  HOT YOGA!  It's absolutely the most fantastic form of exercise I have ever come across, I can't WAIT to get to classes, and I often find myself disappointed when the class is over.
 
It's not easy, poses can be very challenging, and I feel that I can definitely achieve the body that I desire by doing hot yoga.  I used to always say "but I still need my cardio", or "I have to do weights" and while I do believe that to some extent, more and more I'm starting to see the benefits of yoga, and what a wonderful exercise it really is.  What has surprised me most about my practice is the mind, body connection.  I've found that the more I practice, especially when done many days in a row, the calmer and more relaxed my mind is.  I may not lose this weight as quickly as I would if I were running, but my weight is going DOWN, and that is all that matters.
 
I have found the exercise for me that I can see myself doing for the rest of my life.  In a yoga class I feel long, lean, like a ballerina.
 
 
This is how I think I look during yoga:
 
source
 
 
 
 
This is what I probably really look like:
 
source

 
But somehow I'm OK with this.  I wear the skimpiest outfits that I wouldn't be caught dead in at the gym.  I am free to be myself, to grow and improve in my own time, and to challenge no one but myself.  My body is getting stronger, my mind is getting stronger, my CONFIDENCE is getting stronger.  It's a good thing.

This is my non-scale victory for this week.  Figuring out what really works for me, and not being afraid to admit it.


button

linking up with Katie and Lex for Non Scale Victories.

Pin It

13 comments:

Alicia said...

I'm dying at your yoga pictures of what you think you look like and what you really look like. Too funny. I am not a runner either. I've never been and probably never will. But I will wear the cute stuff like the runners so I fit in and be their cheerleader. lol I need like 5 bras so I wouldn't give myself black eyes if I ran. Ha! I envy all those amazing women that do run but its not for me....I mean us... great post!!

Amanda Brown said...

Great post! That picture cracks me up. I KNOW that's what I look like. Kudos to you for figuring out running is not for you and moving on. There are so many other exercises out there. I really need to branch out and try some new classes.

Brandy Dotson said...

I miss yoga so much. I use to do Yoga at gym for about a year, many years ago. And I loved it too. Yoga has many great benifits. I always felt like I was more aware of my posture when I did yoga. I felt skinnier if that make sense... anyway flash forward several years... And I allowed myself to get so unhealthy aka FAT that my joints barely allow me to get on the floor to do anything anymore. But I'm working on fixing that. It's just a slow go for me. I'm starting out with walking. I hope to get a good chunk of weight off then be able to do more excercises like yoga and maybe running. (Believe it or not there was a time that I did enjoy running but your right its not something everyone enjoys.) Keep doing what you love!

Laurie Tester said...

I love Hot Yoga and I don't know why I don't go more often. I haven't been in a LONG time. I am a runner, but not in the way you'd think. I'm slow. I run races because of the friends I have and fun we have afterward. I enjoy it, but I also keep thinking...why do I have to run?? Something to think about.
Laurie
Lulu and Daisy

Danielle K said...

Running is definitely not for everyone...I sometimes wonder why I do it and want to stop because it's just not that great sometimes. I may do hot yoga tonight...eek!!!

Sammie said...

What an awesome victory!! I wish I could find a hot yoga class to take somewhere around my area.. It sounds like a ton of fun and I LOVE me some yoga. I want to be more flexible, so I may need to start again :)

Kelsey said...

That is so awesome that you found what works for you! I also think its great that you know it's okay that you are not a runner! Finding what you enjoy and what works for you really is the most important because its the only way to keep at it. I have recently decided to take up running and I am finding that I actually do like it and that was a HUGE surprise for me!!

Frances Kendrick said...

Ha!! The yoga comparison is hilarious!! I can so relate!!

I am not a runner and I don't feel bad either!! I refuse to torture myself, lol! I am pretty sure I can have a healthier lifestyle without.

Take care!!

Carrie Land said...

That's so great that you found something you love to do!

Jenn said...

You have to find the workout that YOU LOVE - don't worry about trying to incorporate running into your routine if you hate it and you are going to dread it! Great for you for finding what you DO love :)

Madalyn said...

I loved reading this post! I always felt like I had to fit in with all the gym rats and take three aerobics class back to back and then lift and then run but I am not that person!! I don't have 4 hours a day to spend in the gym! Thanks for making me feel like its finally OK to not compare myself to them!

a happier girl said...

Great NSV! It's all about finding something that works for you! I've always wanted to try hot yoga.

Katie J said...

The picture of the woman drinking at the gym is the best!!!

I'm not a runner either. I haven't taken to it yet, and I'm fine with that. I do my best. I think you just have to find what works for you and go with it!