Friday, April 19, 2013

Road Rage is SO unattractive!



I live in the Greater Metropolitan Area of Toronto, a fairly widespread area with LOTS of highways.  The 401, 403, 407, QEW and 400 are all pretty close to me, and I travel them OFTEN, so that makes me somewhat of an expert (who am I kidding, I somewhat of an expert on pretty much anything I please!)  Anyhoo, today while travelling on the QEW to go to yoga, after dropping off Limefreckle Jr. the traffic backed up, as it so often does, and I found myself crawling along to the exit I was looking to take.  It was so backed up, that I didn't make it to the yoga class I had planned, but as luck would have it I was able to get into a different class at another studio (one studio is so strict....no late comers....the other more casual).  So everything worked out in the end.  But while I was crawling along the exit, a woman in a car next to me started beeping at me.  She entered the lane right behind me, leaning on her horn the whole time, and I realized she was trying to get into my lane, and I hadn't even noticed her.  I can't say if her signal was on (I'm assuming it was, cause who gives her the right to think I can read minds?)  She beeped at me over and over, I waved (no not a one fingered wave) but I probably wasn't as polite as I should have been, I mouthed "OK, OK, I get it".  She continued to beep at me, then pulled out beside me to take off into an open space, beeping again at least 3 times for good measure!  WTF?????  What turns people into complete lunatics behind the wheel of a car?  OK lady, got ya the first time, my bad, I didn't let you in, didn't realize your stature in the community, next time I'll be on the lookout for you at all times!  Normally something like that can really throw me off for the rest of the morning, I don't like commotion or confrontation....but today, be it the sunshine that has finally broken through, or the fantastic yoga class I was lucky enough to attend.... I found myself laughing, out loud.  I imagined her in her car, blood pressure skyrocketing, and the horn was just an extension of her...."blah, blah blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah ...oh ya, and BLAH in case you didn't hear me!"  I felt so sorry for her (and the people at her work that she must have been in such a hurry to get to).

Before Mr. Limefreckle, I dated a guy, pretty seriously, for 4 years.  He had horrible road rage.  I found it very uncomfortable (one time, I remember him telling me to roll down the window, so he could yell at the person next to him ON THE HIGHWAY!)  When our relationship had clearly lost it's steam (at least 3 months before I finally had the guts to end it) he yelled at an old man that cut him off, and in that moment, his ugliness was revealed to me.  This was not a man that I could respect, clearly not one I would want to spend the rest of my life with.  I wish him no ill will, I'm so happy that we ended things, and I don't really think of him all that often (except that one time I totally stalked his Facebook pictures to see if his wife is pretty...but come on, who doesn't do that?)  but I thought of him today in this instance, and wonder if he still suffers from this problem. 

Either way, I think road rage says a whole lot more of the person who is enraged than it does the "offender" of whatever traffic violation the recipient of the rage is guilty of!

1 comments:

Kelly said...

Oh goodness, I completely agree. People need to chill the heck out. Glad it didn't ruin your day!