Monday, May 20, 2013

Happy Victoria Day!

Today is Victoria Day in Canada, a day where we get the day off, and celebrate the birthday of Queen Victoria. I have no idea when her actual birthday is, Victoria Day always falls on a Monday, cause that just makes sense....sorry Queen Victoria, but at least the thought is still there.

We started the weekend off extra early on Friday with a PA day for Limefreckle Jr.  I decided to go and check out a new gym that I've been coveting.  I had lunch with an old friend on Thursday, she mentioned her family had joined this gym.  I currently do mostly hot yoga, I buy passes from different studios, depending what are of town I'm in.  I don't have a gym membership, I do some personal training 2x a week at a small studio, but won't be able to do that once Limefreckle Jr. is off for the summer.  So I've been toying with the idea of joining a gym again.

Limefreckle Jr. and I decided to go and check it out on Friday.  We got in the car, and headed over, it's about 15 minutes away.  But suddenly, as I'm driving on a busy section of the highway, the car just started to lose power....I couldn't figure out what was happening....I looked at the instrument panel...and there was the glaring red light showing LOW FUEL.....WTF????  No warning signal?  I must have been driving like that for a while, and hadn't even NOTICED the gas gauge!  We recently got a new car, I used to drive a Mazda CX7, and now we have a CX9...bigger car, takes more gas, and needs to be filled up more.  I haven't yet figured out HOW much! Clearly!!!  Thankfully CAA (Canadian version of AAA) didn't take long to fill us up, and we were on our merry way.  I felt like an idiot...but according to the tow truck driver, it happens ALL.THE.TIME!  We were just kilometres away from our exit!

So, finally we got the new gym.  We pulled in and Limefreckle Jr. saw this at the outdoor pool...


He said "oh, what is this resort?"  And that was it, I couldn't imagine leaving this place without a membership!  It has a rock climbing wall (for him, you won't get me up that thing!) a huge gym 1/2 basketball/1/2 soccer field, a kids area where I can send him with it's own gym, 2 indoor pools and one HUGE outdoor pool where I envision us spending a lot of time this summer, 3 fitness studios, yoga and hot yoga, and the thing that really sealed the deal for me, a spinning studio with 75 bikes!  One reason I don't belong to a gym anymore is because Spinning was the class I enjoyed the most, but it would become a HUGE ordeal to get a bike....you needed to be at the studio at least 1/2 hour before the class so you could line up to get a pass to the class.  I remember one incident years ago at a gym I belonged to where women got into a little cat fight over the bikes!  Just too much of a pain.  I'll never be without a bike at this club!

And yes, it's expensive, over twice the price of a normal gym membership, but I feel like for us, this is a good way to spend our money.  I find myself excited to get to the gym, we went on Saturday so Limefreckle  Jr. could check things out (he did a little rock climbing, we explored the machines (so many I couldn't even count...) and then went for a dip in the indoor pool.  The waterslide isn't open yet, as the weather hasn't been cooperating, although it was nice here on Sunday, and today looks pretty good too.

Yesterday I went to my first spin class, and found that I was pretty able to keep up!  They talk alot about your "zone" and your heart rate, need to bust out my heart rate monitor and study up on that again.  I felt good to do some cardio, I've really just been a yoga rat, and need to step it up a bit.

Yesterday my cousin and his family came over, we jacked up the heater so that the pool was warm (air was a bit nippy, but it didn't seem to bother the kids).  They enjoyed each other's company, and as usual I was so happy to see my son have so much fun with other, typical kids.



Our mama bird is back, making her nest again on on of the speakers on our patio -  you can just see the head of one of her babies here.....a sure sign that Spring is REALLY here...


After dinner we went down the street where some neighbours put on a SPECTACULAR fireworks display it usually lasts about 1/2 an hour!  Most people on the street come out for it.  We've been here 2 years, I really don't know my neighbours very well, just to say casual hellos (except for one neighbour, whose son babysits for us - we've gotten to know her).  Our end of the street is pretty quiet.  The OTHER end of the street, where the fireworks took place, is party central. Everyone seems to gather for May 2-4 parties (we call the weekend that in Canada to celebrate the arrival of beer drinking season - a 2-4 is a case of 24 - and I just realized, the 24th is probably Queen Victorias ACTUAL birthday).  It's becoming one of my favourite long weekends of the summer, we usually have friends over so we can all enjoy the fireworks.

Today we might go check out the pool at the new gym, or maybe take it easy here, Limefreckle Jr. is still sleeping will play it by ear and see what he wants to do!

Hope you are having a FABULOUS long weekend, whether you are celebrating Victoria Day or Memorial Day!!  Happy start to the summer everyone!
Pin It

0 comments: