Thursday, May 9, 2013

Thursday Non Scale Victory - looking at yourself in the mirror

I wasn't going to post today, didn't have anything valuable to share, but then I was reading Katie's post from yesterday and she inspired me, so I'm hooking up with Non Scale victories today!

button
 
I have a big problem looking in the mirror when I'm at the gym.  Heck, I don't really like to look in a full length mirror at any time, I don't like pictures to be taken of all of me, basically I like to hide.  Sometimes, if I happen to catch a glimpse of my full on body, it can totally ruin my day (happened to me the other day while out shopping with friends.....I felt like I looked pretty good that day, but then I caught a glimpse of myself, and all I saw was my belly....it just made me sad...)
 
Anyway, I've shared this with my trainer, often when I'm working out my head is down, looking at the floor, and he's always telling me "head up"...so I'm forced to look in the mirror.  He told me once, don't focus on "me" if that bothers me, focus on the body part that I'm working on.   So that is what I have been trying to do.  The other day, I was working on my calves, and I said to him "Damn, look at those calves....they look good!"  I couldn't believe I found a body part that not only DIDN'T make me unhappy, but that I ADMIRED!!"  It felt good.  For a brief moment I had to think..."hey, whose calves are those in that mirror?"  That is how completely disconnected I can be from my own body!
 
So the moral of the story is, if you are having trouble at the gym with all those mirrors surrounding you, try to focus on the muscle groups you are working, and you might just see them in a whole new light!
Pin It

5 comments:

Jenn said...

Great job, Sue! That's a great NSV! I have to do the same with the gym mirror, just look at the part I'm working on - and I try never EVER to look at my tummy when I'm doing jumping jacks! ;)

Madalyn said...

That's such a great NSV! Sometimes I feel the same way, especially when I don't fit in a workout or eat something that I shouldn't. But recently, I have liked more of what I've seen! Jealous that you have a trainer!

Ashley @ Downsizing said...

Stopping by from the NSV linkup. Congrats on finding something about yourself that you are really proud of. Hopefully this will be the first of many days you look in the mirror and find something you are happy with!

Ashley @ http://downsizingashley.blogspot.com/

a happier girl said...

Great NSV! As stupid as it sounds, sometimes I use my hand weights in my master bathroom and can see myself in the mirror. It feels good to see myself working hard and I sometimes convince myself I can see the improvement in my arms.

Katie J said...

This is so great! Thank you so much for linking up to share! I"m glad you were able to look into the mirror and think something positive!