Monday, July 22, 2013

Shame on you, Drake and J. Cole, shame on you.

It recently came to my attention through a facebook post, that rapper Drake's new song Jodeci Freestyle contains a line by guest rapper J. Cole that goes a little something like this....

I'm artistic, you n---as is autistic, retarded."

Now, notwithstanding the fact that he uses the N word, which is not acceptable, (just ask Paula Deen) I can't believe he uses autism and retarded as put downs.  I can't believe this is still happening in this day and age.  And hey, those of you that have kids on the spectrum, how many of them are FREAKIN EPICLY ARTISTIC?  So, Mr. J. Cole, you don't even make any sense in your little diss of our children!!!

Seriously, I was so annoyed when I read about this....annoyed that it's happening, annoyed that I actually kind of liked Drake, but will never give his music the time of day again (yes, I realize that losing a middle aged suburban housewife as a fan isn't likely to cause him any sleepless nights) but mostly annoyed that the only way most people are going to even hear about this is by reading it through facebook, cause not much has appeared on the nightly news, last time I checked.  Paula Deen uttered her slurs 30 years ago and her life was turned upside down, the media was like a dog with a bone.....but this?  crickets...that's what I hear, crickets.

I did find a clip of Holly Robison Peete giving a very eloquent and emotional interview on Access Hollywood.  I bet that had it not been for her speaking out nothing at all would have been mentioned about it.  J. Cole issued an apology, that I half read, because seriously, I don't for one minute think that he didn't know what he was doing when he penned those lyrics.....any apology after that is basically just lip service.  He did mention that we deserve "medals, not disrespect".  Well there is something I can agree with.  We DO deserve medals, because every single day, parents of children with autism have to fight tooth and nail to get them the help they need, we have to fight against so much insensitivity and ignorance, and we have to fight to help our children fit in.  And then some ridiculous "artist" (and I use that term loosely) comes along and throws these words out as insults, and all the work we have done to help our children not be perceived as "less than" is undone. 

I look forward to a day when this kind of garbage just isn't tolerated....because it's hate speech, pure and simple.....


Pin It

0 comments: