Friday, August 16, 2013

Finding your passion

This summer Limefreckle Jr. has found his passion.  He wants to be a movie maker.  He's been interested in that for a while, but we recently downloaded imovies for his ipad, and he's been off to the races!!

He went to a week long camp this year that included a portion of movie making, they learned to make a trailer in imovies.  He was already familiar with the program, he's been teaching himself, but he's picked up a few more tips and tricks along the way.  We've found some great apps and soundtracks that he's used for his movies....he pulls out all his dinosaurs (I wager a bet this kid owns more plastic animals than any other child on earth) and films them for hours.....or he films his Skylanders.  Adds music and dialogue, fills in the credits.  He filmed our trip up North in several different parts.  He has a panda bear that played a prominent role in the film, I laughed out loud when the credits roled, and the film was directed by "Andy McPandy".  I didn't even know the panda had a name....

We finally decided to buy him his own computer, as his ipad can only hold so much.  We bought him a mac mini, which he's busy teaching himself to use.  There are SO many you tube videos people have put out there that teach you how to do different effects in imovies.  One thing he is experimenting with is the green screen.   We watched a few videos on youtube to get an idea for a cheap set up and came up with this...


If you are interested in making one of these for you or your child, we basically just purchased these plastic table cloths at the dollar store, and hung them using painters tape.  I purchased 2 table cloths, and layered one on the other, because they are fairly thin.  This is the basic, rock bottom set up.  If he gets into this more and more, I may invest in a proper fabric green screen, but this will do the trick for now!

After a couple of practice runs, we realized he needed better lighting, so off to Home Depot for some clamp lights....which we will set up this week.  I love that he has found a passion in something, and while I don't really expect him to move to Hollywood anytime soon, I want to foster his interests as best I can, because who really knows what it will lead to.  I saw Temple Grandin speak last year about finding the things your child loves, and is good at, and pointing them in that direction to help them be successful as an adult.  So far this seems to be his niche....and I'm going to encourage it the best I can!

Pin It

2 comments:

Kelly said...

I love this, Sue! And that idea about fostering your child's passion - that's totally how we feel about homeschool. I can't wait to see some of the work Limefreckle Jr. creates! It will be exciting to say, "I knew that kid when he used dollar store tablecloths for his green screen!" :)

Loveandcrayons said...

How fun is that!!! What a cool idea! And it's great that he found something creative that he loves, so early! I hope you get the green screen figured out!